What is antiandrogen therapy?

Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology
In brief: In men, for prostate
Antiandrogens act by blocking the binding of testosterone & derivatives to the androgen receptor. These agents are used as therapy for men with advanced prostate cancer.
Drugs such as Bicalutamide are often used in combination with medical or surgical castration as part of combined androgen blockade. A newer agent under investigation for prostate cancer is mdv3100.

In brief: In men, for prostate
Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology
In brief: In women
I'll focus on treatment in women.
Spironolactone is antiandrogen therapy used in women to decrease hirsutism & reduce male pattern type hair loss & shedding in women who have excess androgen production from the ovary, .

In brief: In women
I'll focus on treatment in women.
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Arnon Rubin