Could someone please tell me about aids dementia?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Check out

The fact sheet at www.Ninds.Nih.Gov.

In brief: Check out

The fact sheet at www.Ninds.Nih.Gov.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Kalyn Diamond
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Varied Presentation

Aids/hiv dementia has a broad and varied spectrum of clinical manifestations and severity.
It is characterized by cognitive, motor, and behavioral features, usually those with advanced aids. With the advent of highly active antiretroviral therapy, it is less common, although milder cognitive complaints are common.

In brief: Varied Presentation

Dr. Kalyn Diamond
Dr. Kalyn Diamond
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Clarification needed

Aids is someone who have advanced diseases of HIV positive individuals with worsening of symptoms, including dementia.
Any change of personality, memory loss or/and loss of functional activity such as bathing, dressing result hiv-related dementia. The new onset of dementia varies by age and the severity of HIV related symptoms. To my knowledge there is no term for aids dementia.

In brief: Clarification needed

Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Virus induced

Referred to as aids dementia complex (also encephalopathy, neurocongnitive disorder).
It is thought to be caused my activation and inflammation of the macrophage-monocyte system as well as microglia. Neurotoxins are secreted and cause widespread damage. Damaging speech changes occur along with degeneration motor neurons and most importantly cognitive impairment ensues.

In brief: Virus induced

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti