What herb is good for agitation and irritability?

In brief: Yokukansan

The japanese herb yokukansan can treat agitation, but it may also lower potassium.
I have no experience with it. The popular sleep aid valerian may also make you calm, but it has potentially sedative effects. If you are looking for a "natural" solution, try learning to meditate.

In brief: Yokukansan

Dr. Robert Golenbock
Dr. Robert Golenbock
Dr. Bettina Herbert
One of my favorites is lemon balm. It's a member of the mint family and therefore grows very easily. Make a tea daily, or you can buy a tincture or in capsules. Passionflower also can be useful. Deep breathing with a longer exhalation than inhalation is calming. Also look for the cause of agitation, perhaps it is diet or sleep-related.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey