Does continuous treatment of hypercholesterolemia with statins have any adverse effects?

More side effects . In addition to the other answer, muscle aches/breakdown and liver toxicity are rare side effects. Of note , many patients have taken statins for years without any problems.
Possibly. Statin drugs can definitely cause muscle pain. This occurs for multiple reasons. One mechanism is that statins reduce the endogenous production of coq10, a vital anti-oxidant and important component of energy producing processes within the mitochondria inside your cells. If you take statins you should definitely also take coq-10.