Could my retinal surgeon be to blame for my poor vision post surgery?

Dr. Colin McCannel
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Blame?

It is always easy to blame, and in some cases the surgeon may have some fault in a less than perfect outcome.
However, when retina surgeons fix retinal detachments, there are so many reasons that even the most competent surgeons have results that disappoint patients. The most important factor is that the problems have intrinsically bad outcomes. Surgery does only so much!

In brief: Blame?

Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Abdul Khan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not usually.

Typically, retina procedures are done for conditions that adversely affect the vision.
Treatment options are geared towards stopping vision loss or in best cases improvement or restoration of vision. Many times, in spite of adequate and timely treatment, some people still develop significant vision loss, depending on the condition. I would recommend you talk to your retina specialist in detail.

In brief: Not usually.

Dr. Abdul Khan
Dr. Abdul Khan
Dr. Keshav Narain
I agree with Dr. Khan. It is interesting that I have seen this same question repeated several times. Unfortunately, the prognosis for vision often depends on factors that are out of a doctor's control. I would assume that a fellowship trained retinal surgeon would be adept at making the best of a bad retinal situation.
Dr. Steven Seres