I and my child wash our hands regularly, is there anything else I can do to prevent pinworm?

In brief: Trim nails
The eggs are often transmitted from under the nail beds, so keeping them short can decrease transmission.

In brief: Trim nails
Dr. Christopher Abel
Dr. Christopher Abel
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Break the life cycle
The life cycle of a pinworm infection is as follows: the pinworm comes out at night and lays eggs around the anus.
This causes itching, causing us to scratch and get the eggs under our fingernails. We ingest the eggs (by biting our nails, sucking our fingers, eating, etc.) and the eggs hatch in our intestines and start the cycle again. Washing, not touching our mouth and not itching prevents this.

In brief: Break the life cycle
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Cindy Juster