My spleen has been removed. Then what is the effect of this spleen removal and what are the precautions for me that I should follow?

Dr. Charles Breaux
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: You are more ...

Susceptible to serious infections due to encapsulated bacteria (eg, pneumococcus, meningococcus, hemophilus influenzae).
You should be periodically immunized against those organisms. If you develop a febrile illness, you should seek medical attention immediately to start antibiotics. Have a good discussion with your primary care physician, hematologist, and/or surgeon.

In brief: You are more ...

Dr. Charles Breaux
Dr. Charles Breaux