If a 30 y/o male has macular degeneration, is there anything he can try to help him improve his vision?

Dr. Colin McCannel
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Unusual

At age 30, typical macular degneration is not really present.
In this age group, macular degeneration like conditions are generally hereditary dystropies (conditions that worsen early in life). Best to see a retina specialist to sort this out.

In brief: Unusual

Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Abdul Khan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Rare in young people

There are vitamins and nutrients that have been shown to decrease the risk of progression in large studies for dry macular degeneration.
There are other treatments as well, such as injections of meds in the eye. However, that said, macular degeneration is very uncommon in a 30 y/o. I would recommend that you see a retina specialist for further evaluation and management.

In brief: Rare in young people

Dr. Abdul Khan
Dr. Abdul Khan
Dr. Andrea Brand