Itchy eyes and mucus in eyes; any clues?

Probably allergy. If the primary symptom is itchiness, the problem is probably an environmental allergy like pollen, dust mites or animal dander. A white, stretchy-stringy discharge is common with allergies. If the primary symptom is a yellow or green discharge, it is probably an infection (conjunctivitis). In adults, these infections are usually caused by cold viruses and usually resolve on their own.
Depends on the cause. There are many causes of itchy eyes. Several types of inflammatory conditions, allergic reactions, detergents, chemicals, and sometimes bacterial, viral or fungal infections can cause itchy eyes. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.