The decision was that I have lobular carcinoma in situ. What is it?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Also called lobular
Neoplasia...It forecasts that you will develop a breast cancer in either breast.
Some used to do "mirror" biopsies. Others contemplate bilateral mastectomy. Lcis is a risk not a cancer, but the lobular invasive cancer can pose detection problems. Discuss this with a breast cancer team. I would watch very carefully. Lobular cancer makes up only 15% of invasive cancer.

In brief: Also called lobular
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Richard Orr
Mirror image biopsies were done many years ago, but are rarely indicated today. Most of us feel that bilateral mastectomy is overkill, but some patients opt for it, especially if they have a family risk in addition to LCIS. We frequently consider tamoxifen (an anti-estrogen) as a risk modifier, as it decreases the risk of development of invasive cancer by 50%. Women with LCIS are at risk of developing invasive ductal as well as invasive lobular cancer, and may develop it in either breast and in any site, which is why mirror image biopsies are not helpful.
Dr. Adam Smith