How to counteract muscle weakness from taking statins?

Possibly. Statin drugs can definitely cause muscle pain. This occurs for multiple reasons. One mechanism is that statins reduce the endogenous production of coq10, a vital anti-oxidant and important component of energy producing processes within the mitochondria inside your cells. If you take Lipitor (atorvastatin) you should definitely also take coq-10.
No way that I know. There is no way to predict who will have this problem unless it has happened before. The best way to avoid muscle problems on statins is to not take the statins.