Expert opinions? What kind of ointment/cream is placed directly over an open wound?

There are. Numerous wound care products and it depends largely on the size and depth of the wound, it's location and the person being applied to, ie a chronic wound in a diabetic, a pressure wound, venous ulceration or a burn, laceration, puncture, etc. Need specific details to make any recommendations and give reasons.