Please advise what is the difference between eczema and psoriasis?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Very similar!

Eczema-dry cracking psoriasis.
The same hla genes are identical for both. My belief is that they are variants of the same immune process, although many might disagree! i treat them the same way!

In brief: Very similar!

Eczema-dry cracking psoriasis.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Different

Eczema or atopic dermatitis is due to a defect in skin barrier function causing water loss-> itching-> rash.
Multiple gene mutations are linked to impaired skin barrier -> allergic sensitization. Psoriasis is caused by overproduction of skin cells and is also genetically determined. The rash is not usually itchy and the condition may affect nails and joints. The treatments are totally different.

In brief: Different

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Thomas Namey
I do strongly disagree. Spent 8 years with Walter Shelley. And psoriasis is not an over production per se, but an acceleration of dermal epidermal transet time, from 28 days to as little as 4. If you want to discuss, message me!