How useful is glucosamine-chondroitin-msm in treating joint pains?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I am not sure

The theory behind using the glucosamine and chondroitin joint supplements is that more of the cartilage building blocks will be available for cartilage repair.Some study shows less pain in the joint, like when people take Motrin but real evidence of cartilage repair. Thank you.

In brief: I am not sure

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Some feel it helps

Some of the studies suggest it may help while others do not.
In the appropriate patient who wants to take it, i tell them it may or make not help. I have no reason to proactively recommend. There can be side effects: nausea, diarrhea or constipation, indigestion, upset stomach, soft stools, heart burn, the diabetic patient may have a risk of increased glucose (sugar).

In brief: Some feel it helps

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology

In brief: Not useful

There is no good evidence that these supplements do anything.
Save your money and go to the gym to exercise regularly.

In brief: Not useful

Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Rick Pospisil
In the Time of evidenced based medicine, there are no current we'll run double, blind studies of large numbers supporting glucosamine, However as a busy orthopaedist , l have found that it is helpful for a majority of my patients with joint pain