I've got borderline type 2 diabetes and have noticed frequent terrible itching in my feet and ankles about twice a month. Is this symptomatic?

Pruritus and DM. "borderline diabetes" is akin to "borderline pregnant". You either are or aren't. You can have 'pre-diabetes' however. Consistently high glucose levels can lead to pruritus, but this sensation can also be a manifestation of diabetic polyneuropathy. You may find that your symptoms parallel your serum glucose levels. See your primary care doctor and ask about a glucose tolerance test to determine DM.
Many possible causes. There are many things that could cause the skin to itch. Several types of inflammatory conditions of the skin, allergic reactions, and sometimes bacterial, viral or fungal infections can cause rashes on the skin. Insect bites can also be the cause of a rash on the skin. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.