How can I know if my child is dehydrated?

Dr. Ruben Nazario

In brief: Dry lips, less urine

Dehydration is common in babies, most often the result of a stomach virus.
Signs of dehydration include dry lips, sunken fontanel in infants, decreased urine output and decreased activity level. You will notice that your baby is dehydrated if the diapers are less wet, or if you're changing less wet diapers than usual, for example, if more than 10 hours go by without any urine.

In brief: Dry lips, less urine

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Dr. Ruben Nazario
Dr. Salil Gupta

In brief: Decreased activity

If the child is not eating or drinking for more than 4-5 hours, has not gone to pee or had a wet diaper for more than 12 hours, acting tired or weak and has decreased activity level, your child might be dehygrated and you talk to your pediatrician immediately.

In brief: Decreased activity

Dr. Salil Gupta
Dr. Salil Gupta