Can you tell me about being diagnosed with facet joint pain and had a medial branch block?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Facet Joint Pain

Radiofrequency procedures work well if a previous facet injection or medial branch block was performed with greater than 75-80% relief that was obtained.
This is used to determine pain from facet joints. As with anything there are failures, but quite low if the block worked well. Risks are the same as with any spine procedure, no different. Rare that you would be worse off afterwards.

In brief: Facet Joint Pain

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Chris Faubel
Pain Management

In brief: MBB/RFA

I'm confused by the question, so let me just speak about lumbar facet joint pain and branch blocks.
The joints in the spine that allow us to move are the facet joints. They can become arthritic or just inflamed from trauma. If the pain has been there for a while, medial branch blocks can confirm the pain is from the joints, and then lead to radiofrequency ablation (rfa) for long-term relief.

In brief: MBB/RFA

Dr. Chris Faubel
Dr. Chris Faubel
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Controversial

If pain is produced by bending backwards, suggestive of dx.
Controversial is routine diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Chris Faubel
Repeated radiofrequency ablation of the facet joints is exceedingly safe and a true game-changer with patients. It has to be THE most effective treatment we provide as interventional Spine/Pain specialists. It's surprisingly not known by most docs. To not have to take daily medications, get frequent facet joint injections or worse yet, get a lumbar fusion that isn't going to work is awesome.