What could be the cause of random sharp chest pains?

Chest pain. Chest pain. The first thing you may think of is heart attack. Certainly chest pain is not something to ignore. But you should know that it has many possible causes. In fact, as much as a quarter of the U.S. Population experiences chest pain that is not related to the heart. Chest pain may also be caused by problems in your lungs, esophagus, muscles, ribs, or nerves, for example. Some are serious.
Depends. There a variety of conditions that can cause chest pain. The first thing that comes to mind when you say random and sharp is some type of pleuritic chest pain. Meaning it likely is coming from the lining of the lungs. This is especially likely if it is associated with breathing. But, if it is pain that wont go away for >15 min, is squeezing in nature, please see your doctor asap.