I've had a cold for the past 3days. Now just a dry cough & im losing my voice. Do I kneed antibiotics, what should I do? No sore throat, fever, headache.

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Probably not...

Your symptoms as described likely represent a viral infection so antibiotics will not treat your infection.
Viral infections are the most common cause of upper respiratory infections and resolve on their own within a week or so. Seek medical attention if your symptoms worsen.

In brief: Probably not...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: No...

It's great you asked though! on average colds can last 3-7 days.
Colds are viral - meaning antibiotics don't do anything. Antibiotics can even cause nasty yeast infections, diarrhea and superbugs that colonize your body (not to mention allergic reactions in some people). For your cold, stick to rest, fluids, then more rest. (did i mention rest.) hope you feel better!

In brief: No...

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Christopher Guzik

In brief: Treat the symptoms

Colds are caused by a virus.
Antibiotics do not treat a virus. Keep hydrated and treat the symptoms. Stop the cough and your voice will return. Coughing strains the vocal cords. Treat the cough with something to help control it. An antihistamine tablet may be helpful to dry mucus in the throat and decrease cough.

In brief: Treat the symptoms

Colds are caused by a virus.
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine