Does deep muscle relaxation work for falling asleep?

Dr. Owen Scott
Clinical Psychology

In brief: The key

to using any relaxation method with insomnia is to concentrate of relaxing, not on falling sleep.
Mindfulness meditation, deep muscle relaxation, pleasant imagery, and physical methods such as a warm bath can help but when you think about how badly you want to sleep and "try hard", you stay awake. Studies even show trying to stay awake helps you fall asleep!

In brief: The key

Dr. Owen Scott
Dr. Owen Scott
Dr. Owen Scott
https://www.div12.org/PsychologicalTreatments/treatments/insomnia_paradoxical.html
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Progressive relax

Progressive relaxation exercises-mp3 downloads, tapes, cds, practice can be helpful.
It is more than just deep muscle relaxation. Massage can help. Relaxing things like a warm bath can help too.

In brief: Progressive relax

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller

In brief: I fall asleep

most of the time when I do it.

In brief: I fall asleep

most of the time when I do it.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine