Do surgeons do imaging and diagnose?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Depends on what you mean by "imaging" and "diagnose". Surgeons are experts in operations - cutting the body to remove something that is non-functional or causing illness. Oftentimes, to figure out where that is, during an operation, a surgeon will take pictures (intraoperative cholangiogram comes to mind). 0ther times, to ensure things r back the right way, they'll take pictures.
Dr. David Dinhofer
Radiology

In brief: Depends

This depends on the surgeon and the disease.
Most know how to diagnose but don't do the imaging. They refer to a radiologist because it is hard to know everything about surgery and imaging. That is why they are separate specialties.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. Shari Jackson
Radiology

Being a surgeon involves much more than just operating.
Surgeons evaluate patients (in clinic or er) and decide whether to order tests to make or confirm diagnoses. Most imaging (e.g., ct, mri, ultrasound, xrays) is performed by technologists and formally interpreted by radiologists. That said, surgeons usually become quite good at identifying abnormalities specific to their specialties.

Dr. Shari Jackson
Dr. Shari Jackson
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Sure

All surgeons diagnose.
As a vascular surgeon, i perform my own angiograms and interpret them, so I do my own imaging.

In brief: Sure

All surgeons diagnose.
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery