Do surgeons do imaging and diagnose?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology
Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Depends on what you mean by "imaging" and "diagnose". Surgeons are experts in operations - cutting the body to remove something that is non-functional or causing illness. Oftentimes, to figure out where that is, during an operation, a surgeon will take pictures (intraoperative cholangiogram comes to mind). 0ther times, to ensure things r back the right way, they'll take pictures.
Dr. David Dinhofer
Radiology
In brief: Depends
This depends on the surgeon and the disease.
Most know how to diagnose but don't do the imaging. They refer to a radiologist because it is hard to know everything about surgery and imaging. That is why they are separate specialties.

In brief: Depends
Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. Shari Jackson
Radiology
Being a surgeon involves much more than just operating.
Surgeons evaluate patients (in clinic or er) and decide whether to order tests to make or confirm diagnoses. Most imaging (e.g., ct, mri, ultrasound, xrays) is performed by technologists and formally interpreted by radiologists. That said, surgeons usually become quite good at identifying abnormalities specific to their specialties.

Dr. Shari Jackson
Dr. Shari Jackson
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Sure
All surgeons diagnose.
As a vascular surgeon, i perform my own angiograms and interpret them, so I do my own imaging.

In brief: Sure
All surgeons diagnose.
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery