If I have celiac, can I still eat what I want once in awhile>?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Avoid gluten always
With celiac disease, exposure of the intestine to any gluten causes inflammation of affected gut lining, with a decrease in absorptive surface of that gut, & resulting malabsorption of food.
The best & most enduring fix is to avoid eating any gluten. Serum tissue transglutaminase antibody can help determine how successfully gluten is avoided. Don't compromise your health for taste preference.

In brief: Avoid gluten always
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
In brief: You decide
This is not a simple food allergy where the effects clear after your body processes the food.
Any time you consume gluten, your body creates new destructive antibodies that will attack your gut.These will circulate in your body for months.You may not "feel" immediate effects, but it happens. Avoid gluten & your body can heal.You will likely have accidental exposures anyway.It is hard to be GF.

In brief: You decide
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Shouldn't
It is best to follow a strict gluten free diet.
But patients vary in their responses to small amounts of gluten.

In brief: Shouldn't
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Andrea Brand