Discomfort from hemorrhoids is worse while having a bowel movemet. Should I wipe with witch hazel?

In brief: Witch hazel
Witch hazel is a plant extract which was used medicinally by American Indians.
It has astringent & antioxidant qualities & has been used to reduce swelling. Witch hazel can be used for hemorrhoids. Some wipes contain combination of witch hazel and aloe. Products that do not contain alcohol may be gentler on the skin. Alcohol on the anus could sting.

In brief: Witch hazel
In brief: Might help
It might help, but if it is worse with a bm, the best thing is probably to eat more fiber and use stool softeners.

In brief: Might help
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Maybe
I personally do not recommend witchhazel preparations.
A good moist adult wipe without lanolin, witch hazel or alcohol is appropriate to use such as kleenex cottonelle, fleet wipes or prep h wipes are reasonable choices.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery