What causes fetal distress?

Poor perfusion. Anything that prevents oxygenation of your fetus can cause "distress". Placental abnormalities, premature separation, or cord compression or blockage. Poor blood flow to the uterus can also cause it whether from hemorrhage, ischemia, or injury. Fetal malformations can also cause it. In short, prenatal care ensures that you are not at risk for these and screens for problems with ultrasound & nsts.
Multiple factors. Ombilical cord compressions, abnormalities within the placenta. The main reason for fetal distress in all the cases it s hypoxia caused by different etiologies.
Fetal Distress. There are many causes of fetal distress. One that occurs prior to labor is caused by a placental problem and effects fetal growth. Other causes occur during labor. A common cause during labor is intermittent umbilical cord compression. Sometimes this occurs in a way that a vaginal delivery is possible and sometimes this occurs in a way that an emergency cesarean section is indicated.