Does leishmaniasis have preventative medication that I can use?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Leishmaniasis
The best prevention is to keep from being bitten by sand flies: wear insect repellent, wearing protective clothing, screening windows, putting fine mesh around the bed, avoid outdoor activities, especially from dusk to dawn, when the flies are most active.

In brief: Leishmaniasis
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
In brief: Sand flies
There is no vaccine or preventive med for leishmaniasis.
Dr fisher did an excellent job with prevention. I will focus on protection while sleeping. The phlebotomine sand fly is a third the size of a mosquito. So the mesh in your netting must be very fine. Make sure that the bed netting is tucked under the mattress. Spray both netting and bedding with a insecticide that contains pyrethroid.

In brief: Sand flies
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dermatology
In brief: Insect repellant
Avoid bites from flying insects.

In brief: Insect repellant
Avoid bites from flying insects.
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Michael Tomeo