What is difference between raynaud and cyanosis? How do I know that i hv raynaud or something else? When it happens my finger tend to look bluish-grey

Dr. Howard Feinberg
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Raynauds is spasm

Raynaud's phenomenon is caused by a spasm in the vessels usually caused by exposure to cold.
It starts with the finger tips, toes, tip of the nose, and or ears turning white. This is followed by a blue color (cyanosis ). When the blood vessel relaxes the skin flushes as the blood rushes back in. 2 color changes are required for diagnosing raynauds. Cyanosis is is simply blue from lack oxygen.

In brief: Raynauds is spasm

Dr. Howard Feinberg
Dr. Howard Feinberg
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine