Can you have rhinoplasty if you are 15?

Dr. Richard Westreich
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Age for Rhinoplasty
There are certain standards that are used to determine age appropriateness for rhinoplasty.
For women typically we wait until age 16. For men 17 is preferred. Since the concerns relate mostly to damaging growth centers, it is less of an issue when a patient has a larger nose. If you are very developed for 15 then it may be possible. Each case is unique.

In brief: Age for Rhinoplasty
Dr. Richard Westreich
Dr. Richard Westreich
2 comments
Dr. James Bates
This is good advice. Don't have a rhinoplasty too early in life. Wait until you're through growing and more emotionally mature.
Dr. James Kallman
I concur that cosmetic surgery is something that we should be cautious not to encourage at too young an age. I would add, however, that at times, due to trauma, we are forced to perform reconstructive rhinoplasty techniques on even the very young and they tend to do well. In general, we have not observed mid face hypoplasia in pediatric trauma patients requiring reconstructive rhinoplasty.
Dr. Andrew Pichler
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Age for rhinoplasty
Generally, you want to wait until the growth/height has slowed to less than 1" prior year. Usually, 15-16 girls, 17-18 boys.

In brief: Age for rhinoplasty
Dr. Andrew Pichler
Dr. Andrew Pichler
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Delay if possible
Best to wait a few years if it is possible.
Boys stop growing around age 17 and girls around 16. It is best to avoid surgery until that time to prevent future growth of the nose from distorting the surgery results. If there are severe functional problems, i sometimes make exceptions, but for a cosmetic change, i will always have my patients wait.

In brief: Delay if possible
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Clark Schierle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Rhinoplasty Choices
If you're young enough that you're still growing significantly, it probably isn't the best idea.
I generally ask my patients if their shoe size has been stable for at least a year. If you have a significant deformity and are ok with the idea that the nose may grow and change after you recover from surgery it may be reasonable to proceed. The decision should be made between you and your surgeon.

In brief: Rhinoplasty Choices
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Rhinoplasty @15
15 is right at borderline.
The rule of thumb is to do it once puberty growth is done.

In brief: Rhinoplasty @15
15 is right at borderline.
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Sarmela Sunder
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Better to wait
It is generally recommended that girls be at least 16 and boys at least 17 before a rhinoplasty.
This depends on both physical and emotional maturity.

In brief: Better to wait
Dr. Sarmela Sunder
Dr. Sarmela Sunder
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: A little too early
The safe answer for rhinoplasty is always 18 years old.
This assures that your development is complete and you wont have any growth problems or subsequent deformities.

In brief: A little too early
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not advised
15 is still too young for boys and girls to have a rhinopasty.
The face is still growing and changing and will do so for a few years. It is uncommon to perform rhinoplasty in girls before age 17 and boys before 18. Sometimes limited internal nose surgery will be done to open blocked nasal passages at that age but any cosmetic nose surgery should be delayed until you are older.

In brief: Not advised
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Jeremy White
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 16 yr average age
The age at which rhinoplasty can be performed has to do with the time at which nasal growth is complete.
If surgery is performed too early, the growth centers of the nose can be disturbed and the nose might not develop fully. Nasal growth is usually complete around 16 years old, on average. Another necessity is that, until you are 18 years old, your parents should be involved in the consultation.

In brief: 16 yr average age
Dr. Jeremy White
Dr. Jeremy White
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Depends on maturity
Rhinoplasty can be done in a 15 year old if they are both physically and emotionally mature enough.
An experienced surgeon can give you advice in a consultation.

In brief: Depends on maturity
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris