20 hour roadtrip with my family will this put me at risk for DVT or pulmonary embolism? No health risks, fam history or factors

Dr. Nestor Del rosario
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Precaution only

Just keep moving your legs even now and then, flex your foot up and down, just little things, and you'll be fine.

In brief: Precaution only

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: DVT and travel.

One of the causes of DVT is venous stasis and this is due to prolonged immobility as can occur with long drives or flights.
So a 20 hour road trip could potentially increase your risk of developing a DVT. Stopping every 2 to 3 hours to get up and walk and wearing support hose during the trip would also help to mitigate the chances of developing a DVT.

In brief: DVT and travel.

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine