Do twins do better if born naturally or by c section?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: C-section!

80% of all twins are born via c/s in the us nowadays.
The reason is that the second twin has a 20% greater chance of dying at birth compared to the first twin. I recommend prelabor cesarean section for all twins at this time, especially if bilateral tubal ligation is planned - talk to your maternal-fetal medicine specialist to see if that is good option for you.

In brief: C-section!

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
5 comments
Dr. Miguel Cano
About 75% of our twins deliver vaginally if they've had prior normal deliveries. It is safe in experienced hands and always with the ability to perform emergent c-section if needed (rarely needed). Your Doc has to know how to perform a breech extraction, perform a podalic internal version, and/or know how to perform an external cephalic version with the second twin as the first is delivering. It's unfortunate that some only consider c-section for twins. Our twins do well either way, but as always, listen to your OB and they'll see what's best for you.
I sense some bravado from Dr Cano. A famous mentor warned me about accepting testimonials about outcomes, especially when the doc does not actually follow the kid patients after delivery.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham