My son is 9, he has low blood pressure and is very pale. He has headaches everyday, what could it be? His pediatrician wants him to see a neurologist asap & sent for blood work. Should i be worried?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Not to worry

I advise not being worried until you have all the information.
The paleness may be anemia. We always want to make sure a patient not having a brain problem when headaches are involved-hence neurology. Your pediatrician is concerned...Worrying stresses you out because we imagine worse things than might be happening. Your best defense right now is to pray and not worry. Things always work out.

In brief: Not to worry

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Anemic

Your child could be anemic..After his blood work you may want to see a hemotologist.

In brief: Anemic

Dr. Brian Greenberg

In brief: Follow-up

Sounds like your pediatrician is giving you good advice.
Worrying will not be helpful but it is important to follow-up on your pediatrician's plan. There are numerous possible causes of your child's symptoms but they should be worked through in a careful manner. This could all be explained by something as simple as anemia but it is most important to take things one step at a time.

In brief: Follow-up

Dr. Hemendra Parikh

In brief: Need to know more

First of all we want to know what is his blood pressure, what other symptoms he has, and how they have evolved and what were the findings of physical exam besides being pale.
I suppose his blood pressure was not too low otherwise he would have been sent to er for immediate stabilization. I therefore feel that we should wait the results and then pursue further.

In brief: Need to know more

Dr. Mason Gomberg

In brief: Be concerned

A child having headaches everyday needs to be checked out especially if they are waking him up from sleep.
An endocrine condition may also give you headaches and low bp, check if he is on any other medicines. A simple set of blood tests will help determine if there is anemai or other simple issues so by all means get it checked out. If all is negative it could be some stress at school or home.

In brief: Be concerned

Dr. Vicken Poochikian