Is rapelling safe or stupid?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Generally safe

Rapelling is a rather fun way of descending off a slope using the assistance of ropes and partners.
It take some training and proper equipment so it should not be done casually. But with good training from experts, it can be a very satisfying addition to the mountain climbing and rock climbing experience.

In brief: Generally safe

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
I've enjoyed it. It's only stupid not to be very careful and know what you are doing.

In brief: Can be safe.

I learned to rappel in the military.
We always had a responsible rappel master& we double checked our equipment. If you are concerned about safety - use a belay man at the bottom of the rope. Rappelling can be safe (& fun). Always be responsible and safety aware when rappelling.

In brief: Can be safe.

I learned to rappel in the military.
Dr. Andrea Brand