Why is this eye infection not responding to antibiotics?

Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: May be viral or...

Viral eye infections are like the common cold.
..They don't respond to antibiotics and just need to run their course. Or, maybe it is not an infection, but rather an inflammatory problem. If not responding to drops within 7-10 days, see an eye doctor for further examination to figure out what the real problem is.

In brief: May be viral or...

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Time frame?

I am guessing that you have seen an ophthalmologist or another type of md (not an optometrist!) who gave you an antibiotic (topical drops?) for an eye infection.
How long ago was that? Most eye infections will last 3-8 days so if you are in that time frame, perhaps you need just be patient. If it is worsening, or taking too long, re-see the ophthalmologist.

In brief: Time frame?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Vicken Poochikian