Is there some sort of splint (that actually works) that can hold the big toe away from the second toe?

Most of the splint are used at night and can be found in a catalog or drug store.
During the day you can use a toe spacer. They will not correct the positon of the toe forever.

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Yes, but...

There are splints made to help hold the toe in a proper position.
I often use these after surgery for a few months to protect the toe while it's healing. However, these splints themselves will not correct a bunion. Look at hapad.Com for a nighttime bunion regulator and a viscoelastic toe spacer.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Vicken Poochikian