Irrational fear of needles and shots- can I ever overcome it? What about taking a pill before each shot visit?

Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Fear of needles
If the fear is there, it is usually automatic.
You are not really in control of it, so plan appropriately. For some people numbing medicines like Emla (lidocaine and prilocaine) cream eliminate the pain and gets rid of the fear. Sometimes the fear is not about the pain, and a sedative or anti-anxiety medication may help. For most people it is not worth the trouble or expense to do formal phobia desensitization techniques.

In brief: Fear of needles
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: CBT
Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias.
One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

In brief: CBT
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Kevin Windisch
I've had patients threaten to kill themselves if they had to get a shot.
With patients and good psychotherapeutic technique (we used hypnosis) the patient was able to work through this successfully.

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Shontae Buffington