I missed a dose of my antibiotic for my sinusitis; is that enough time for the bacteria to develop resistance?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Unlikely

Antibiotic dosage schedules are designed to have an overlap of coverage so that the level of the antibiotic does not get lower than needed for coverage when the next dose is given.
If you missed a dose, you almost certainly had some available in your body and resistance development for this reason is unlikely.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably not

Antibiotics work by "logarithmic kill;" the first day, they kill 90% of the bacteria, the next day, another 90%, and so on.
Most antibiotics remain in the bloodstream for several hours, so missing a dose just delays the end of treatment. Keep on taking the pills as scheduled (never take two pills at a time to "make up" for the one you missed), and you'll be ok.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine