I have a really dry scalp that wont go away with dandruff shampoo, how do I get rid of it?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Seborrhea
You probably have seborrheic dermatitis; i'm an expert on that, because I have it too.
Over-the-counter dandruff shampoos work on mild cases, but for more serious dryness you need a prescription shampoo such as loprox (ciclopirox) or clobex (there are many others). I often add an anti-inflammatory foam like Luxiq or olux, which can be aplied directly to the scalp and won't mess up your hair.

In brief: Seborrhea
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Seborrhea
Seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be due to a combination of an over production of skin oil and irritation from yeast.
Seborrheic dermatitis appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (such as acne), or obesity may increase the risk.

In brief: Seborrhea
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher