I have a very mild cut on my hand but with dirt in it. What should I do, get a tetanus booster?

Dr. Noel Alonso

In brief: Clean it 1st!

First, clean the wound (mild soap and water) making sure you have removed all the dirt particles, apply a topical antibiotic agent (neosporin) and bandage.
Check with your doctor as to when your last tetanus vaccine/booster was given. If it's been a while, your doctor may want you to get a booster and also put you on antibiotics if the wound is at significant risk of infection. Go see your doc!

In brief: Clean it 1st!

Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Noel Alonso

In brief: Depends

Small dirty cuts are openings in the skin that can allow the tetanus spores to grow in your tissue.
It doesn't take many to start the process & lead to tetanus. If you've had a booster within 5 yrs, just clean the cut & watch for problems. If no booster, or you never completed the primary series, you should get one.Today they have the tdap which actually boosts you for tetanus, diphtheria & pertussis.

In brief: Depends