How long is recovery and how soon I can drive after a groin / inguinal hernia operation?

In brief: A few days

It depends on how long you are taking narcotic pain medication.
You should not drive for a couple days after you stop taking the narcotics. This can be as quick as a few days or as long as 2 weeks.

In brief: A few days

Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Scott Grover

In brief: Driving after hernia

I advise my post-op groin hernia patients not to try and drive if they are using narcotics and/or for at least a week since their response time to putting thier foot on the brake is slow and if they get into an accident it's their fault and then the doctor's fault for not telling them.

In brief: Driving after hernia

Dr. Mark Aranson
Dr. Mark Aranson
Dr. Joey Bluhm
Surgery

In brief: Depends on Surgeon

All surgeons have different protocols for when they will let patients return to normal activity.
Most would say 2-4 weeks of no heavy lifting or strenuous activity. I allow patients to drive when they no longer require pain medication.

In brief: Depends on Surgeon

Dr. Joey Bluhm
Dr. Joey Bluhm
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery