How commonly does pseudomonas aeruginosa infect the lungs?

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: It occurs,
And can be life-threatening but in my experience most of the time that the organism is isolated from respiratory cultures in hospitalized patients, it is a colonizer, not the cause of pneumonia.

In brief: It occurs,
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Common in the ICU
It is not common to get this infection in a normal host, that is someone who is healthy otherwise.
This kind of pneumonia is fairly common in patients who become very ill from some other problem are require support in the intensive care unit, who otherwise have weakened immune systems, or who have cystic fibrosis which is a genetic disease, involving abnormally thick mucous in the lung.

In brief: Common in the ICU
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro