How commonly does pseudomonas aeruginosa infect the lungs?

It occurs, And can be life-threatening but in my experience most of the time that the organism is isolated from respiratory cultures in hospitalized patients, it is a colonizer, not the cause of pneumonia.
Common in the ICU. It is not common to get this infection in a normal host, that is someone who is healthy otherwise. This kind of pneumonia is fairly common in patients who become very ill from some other problem are require support in the intensive care unit, who otherwise have weakened immune systems, or who have cystic fibrosis which is a genetic disease, involving abnormally thick mucous in the lung.