Having a lot of pain in my hips over the past year. Should I get x-rays done?

Probably yes. If this has been persisting for a year, I would definitely say yes. You do not want to miss anything. Also make sure you see a physician who knows how to treat problems with your hips. This can be an orthopedist or a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist.