Can you tell me about breast reconstruction options?

Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Implants vs tissue

Several options.
Performed at time of mastectomy ("immediate") or any time after ("delayed"). Usually involves more than 1 surgery for best results. 2 main categories: breast implants or your own tissue ("flaps" or "fat grafting"). Tissue provides the most natural results. Perforator flaps preserve muscle. The nipple and areola can also be recreated if not preserved by nipple-sparing mastectomy.

In brief: Implants vs tissue

Several options.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breast Cancer

This is a great question.
The issue is how safe is it to be under anesthesia for longer periods of time. The short answer is it is very safe. I perform the diep flap breast reconstruction surgery and it takes longer because of all of the steps. These patients do extremely well after surgery and have had the benefit of removal of the lower abdominal tissue just like I do for a tummy tuck.

In brief: Breast Cancer

This is a great question.
Dr. Heidi Memmel
Breast Surgery

In brief: Many options

Many women are candidates for immediate reconstruction at the time of mastectomy.
Usually most of the skin, and often times the nipple can be preserved to give a better cosmetic result. Reconstruction can be performed with either an implant or by using a woman's own fatty tissue from the abdomen or from the back.

In brief: Many options

Dr. Hoang Nguyen
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Implants or Tissue

Options for breast reconstruction following mastectomy are: 1) Tissue expanders followed by implants, 2) Tissue flap reconstruction, including TRAM, DIEP flap, and other flaps, 3) Combination of flap and implant (latissimus + implant), and 4) Prosthesis -- meaning no reconstruction and wearing a prosthesis.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each type. Have a discussion with your surgeon.

In brief: Implants or Tissue

Dr. Adam Levy