I suspect my son has pandas. Is it harmful to give him yoghurt with streptococcus thermophilus added to it?

Dr. Noel Alonso

In brief: Probably ok...

I would agree with dr. Lurie.
At this time, it appears to only be related to a certain type of strep, group a beta hemolytic streptococcus (gabhs). The link with other types of strep has not yet been made, but if a concern and looking for a good probiotic for children, i would recommend lactobacillus gg as more than 400 studies to date have proven its efficacy and safety. Hope this helps!

In brief: Probably ok...

I would agree with dr. Lurie.
Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Allen Lewis

In brief: Not advised

Strep strains in probiotics of my patients with pandas have repeatedly trigger pandas symptoms; therefore, I do not use probiotics with strep containing strains.
I would also avoid it in yogurt. Due to the relapsing nature of pandas it is best to minimize any possible sensitizing trigger - pandas is an autoimmune illness, so immune sensitization is the issue.

In brief: Not advised

Dr. Allen Lewis
Dr. Allen Lewis
Dr. Susan Lurie

In brief: Unsure

Pandas or pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder associated with streptococcus is a sudden onset of obsessive/compulsive behaviors or tics with a positive throat culture for strep and/or positive blood test markers for a recent strep infection.
The disorder is not well classified, but appears to respond well to antibiotics such as Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) or zithromax. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Unsure

Dr. Susan Lurie
Dr. Susan Lurie
Dr. Jonathan Jassey