My child as cystic fibrosis, how likely will he get pseudomonas aeruginosa?

Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: Later in life
Patients with cystic fibrosis often get these bacteria in their airways by adulthood.
The vast majority of adult CF patients have airways colonized with pseudomonas aeruginosa (pa). Younger patients (kids) tend not to have pa in their airways, but that can vary.

In brief: Later in life
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. William Walsh
Although I would use the term chronic airways infection rather than colonization for Pseudomonas aeruginosa, it is much less common for children to has P. aeruginosa than adults.
Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Unlikely as a child
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a bacterium that typically infects patients with CF in the second or third decade in life - the longer someone with CF lives the higher the odds of getting pseudomonas are.
Additionally, the worse the patient's lung function is the higher the odds of getting p. Aeruginosa are. Not everyone with CF will get it during their lifetime - but most do (at this time).

In brief: Unlikely as a child
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: CF registry
The CF registry has specific data to answer this question.
The overall percentage of patients with p. Aeruginosa in 2006 was 55%, and by the age of 11 years, about 60% of patients will be colonized. I hope this helps.

In brief: CF registry
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Shontae Buffington