I feel knee pain after playing basketball. I am heavy and I jump a lot in the games. Is there any medicine that I can take to prevent this pain?

Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Nomed -Need2prevent!
Prevention won't be achieved with ibuprofen- meds are typically for treatment.
Prevention lies in understanding the cause of your knee pain that can be changed - 1. Overweight? Lose weight 2. Worn out sneakers?Buy new ones 3. Bad technique?Learn better ways to jump 4. Fatigue?Get conditioned 5. Unstable knee?Bracing, rehab may help.

In brief: Nomed -Need2prevent!
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Diagnosis First
The first concern is are you damaging your knees.
Every pound overweight will add 5 more pounds when you take a step. This type of impact loading can hasten osteoarthritis in your knees, hips, etc. Before treatment we need to know why you are having knee pain. There may be certain problems uncovered despite you being overweight that are impacting your painful knees.

In brief: Diagnosis First
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Pain in Knees
As long as you get pain only when you play basketball and other times you have no pain and are able to do all activities without any pain, then you can take over the counter meds like Motrin or Aleve (naproxen) after the game and it may help.
If it does not then see your doctor.

In brief: Pain in Knees
If it does not then see your doctor.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine