Why did my psychologist react badly when I said I wanted to see a psychiatrist?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Several issues
Without knowing what your problem is or what type of psychologist you're seeing, one can only speculate that the psychologist and you disagreed about the best approach to treatment.
Psychiatry usually carries the implication of medication. Some psychologists are quite skeptical of the benefits of medications, at least for certain problems. Yours may have felt you were looking for an "easy out.".

In brief: Several issues
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Pamela Pappas
I feel sad just thinking of this one. Would hope that psychologists and psychiatrists could work together productively and enjoyably -- for the benefit of patients and more fulfilling work environment for everyone.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Ask him/her
You would have to ask the psychologist about why they reacted that way.
Keep in mind it's your choice to see whomever you would like for mental health issues be at the psychologist, psychiatrist, the social worker, etc.

In brief: Ask him/her
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Only speculation
One cannot really speculate on your individual case or even less so the reactions of your psychologist.
One would hope that regardless of personal preferences or biases about medication a well-trained psychologist or any professional would not be intimidated or upset by a patient considering another specialist or opinion.

In brief: Only speculation
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Jack Hinkle