How do they treat ptsd?

A weave . Probably the highest efficacy for both complex & simple ptsd is cognitive processing therapy ( a form of cbt). Many people with moderate to severe ptsd require meds. Ssri's are usually a base. Atypical antipsychotics for severe dissassociation. Prazosin or other meds for insomnia, nightmares. Emdr is good for simple ptsd. Various types of desensitization (ie video based) are cutting edge. Group.
PTSD treatment. Post-traumatic stress disorder (ptsd) can be very complex, and may need multiple types of treatment. A thorough psychiatric evaluation is the best way to start, to understand some of the precipitating events and ongoing triggers. Psychotherapy with emdr (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) can help move through and release painful emotion. Medications are sometimes needed, not always.
Ptsd and lamictal. In my practice I have been using Lamictal with good success in the last 10 years. In about 200 patients i had 89 percent rate alleviation of symptoms such as nightmares, flasbacks and improvement in mood. However of ptsd is found with self medication with alcohol and often opioids. Usually lower doses have been successful and suplemtation with deplin reduces side effects such as thinning oh hair.
PTSD. The National Center for PTSD has a handout http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/understanding_TX/booklet.pdf that explains the best treatments. I have had all the formal training in all of them and by far, can state that EMDR Therapy is less disturbing to clients and works faster. www.emdria.org has list of Certified Providers. You don't just have to live with it-it can be resolved!
Psychotherapy/meds. Psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, and physicians assistants an prescribe medications for PTSD. Psychologists, social workers, and occasionally psychiatrists can also offer psychotherapy for PTSD. The most optimal results for alleviation of PTSD symptoms is a combination of medication and psychotherapy.