What could happen to my swollen eye? I was hit with a ball.

Injury to eye. It is important, in any type of eye injury, to seek an ophthalmologist to examine your eye, or eyes, to check for traumatic injuries. There are many things that can happen as a result of an injury and can be minor type, such as a lid bruise or swelling; damage to the front of the eye like inflammation or cataract; or injury to the back of the eye that could lead to a torn retina or a detachment.