I went through a lot of trouble getting pregnant and want delivery to be perfect. Can I write out my plan and insist ob follow it?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not really

I am sorry getting pregnant was a problem but congratulations on achieving this goal.
You OB is an expert on pregnancy, labor and delivery and is as vested in a good outcome as you are. Unless you have special training in this area, i would carefully follow the advice of your ob. Most pregnancies do well and yours probably will also. A few get into trouble usually not from a bad plan.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
2 comments
Dr. Gregory Hines
When I did OB, I would refuse a patient with a care plan that she expected me to follow.
Dr. Richard Zimon
You cannot have a "plan" for a delivery..... plans change ..often fast!!!
Dr. Stephen Sudler

In brief: Healthy mom and Baby

Feel free to write a birth plan to discuss with your ob, and should do so.
Understand that childbirth is a biological process over which you nor your OB have complete control. Events may occur requiring change or even mostly discarding your birth plan. Your OB has a duty to do what is best for you and your baby, even if that is not what you had hoped and anticipated. Goal = healthy mom and baby.

In brief: Healthy mom and Baby

Dr. Stephen Sudler
Dr. Stephen Sudler
Dr. Ron Eaker
Great advice!
David Miller

In brief: A little maybe

Congrats on your pregnancy! so far as a "birth plan" goes, a few simple things are fine so long as you're flexible.
If you drag out 20-pages a couple of hours before the delivery, i can guarantee that this won't be happening. Ultimately, pregnancy and delivery is a natural process over which we have very little control. Having a healthy baby is the desired end point. The rest is just icing.

In brief: A little maybe

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Adam Levy