Referred to GI since ALT last 6 months was 76, 63, and 59. Mild hepatic steatosis on us. Is it necessary to see one? Don't want to and costly.

Pathology

In brief: You decide

I am going to assume that hepatitis b and wilson's have been ruled out -- if one of these is the cause, you're in grave danger. I'll also assume that eliminating alcohol did not normalize your alt.
There's a few rare genetic illnesses a GI doc could pick up. You have the option of going back to a fitness-focused lifestyle and seeing what happens -- this is a mainstay of treatment for nash.

In brief: You decide

2 comments
Dr. Charles Cattano
You have NASH, a condition that can lead to cirrhosis. It may be a lot costlier NOT to see the gastroenterologist. Please make your appointment.
No argument here, Dr. Cattano!
Dr. Jack Hinkle