If I had breast cancer, mastectomy, and implant on left side, will mammograms be able to pick up new tumor in leftover tissue?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Not needed
Mastectomies, by definition, involve removal of (almost) all of the breat tissue present.
While it is true that microscopic amounts of breast tissue can be left behind, this is not amenable to mammographic evaluation, regardless of whether a reconstruction was done. Careful physical examination remains the best way to screen for local cancer recurrence following a mastectomy.

In brief: Not needed
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Paul Slawek
Radiology
Mammography would be useful.
If questions arise MRI would be best but ultrasound would be useful.

Mammography would be useful.
Dr. Paul Slawek
Dr. Paul Slawek
Dr. Regina Hampton
Mammography is not recommend when mastectomy has been performed unless ther is a new palpable mass. The remaining breast on the opposite side should continue to be screened with mammogram
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Breast
I agree with both of the answers posted.
I would say that it is difficult because each breast is different and the fat plan decreases as you get closer to the nipple are polar complex. If any event a mammogram is not needed after mastectomy and implant recon but can be used to evaluate the remaining tissue. Physical exam by the doctor is very important help guide any studies needed.

In brief: Breast
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery